It is a street racing course that takes place in a decaying industrial and downtown area, presented in a futuristic cyberpunk style. Notable landmarks are the Empire Hotel, and a park located opposite several gothic style buildings.
The police vehicles patrolling the course in the Hot Pursuit mode are the Eagle Talon in the PlayStation release or the Ford Crown Victoria in the PC release. In Need for Speed: High Stakes, the Chevrolet Caprice and the Lamborghini Diablo SV are patrolling instead.
- In Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit, Flimsy by Saki Kaskas and Warped by Alistair Hirst are used as soundtracks for Empire City.
- Entering the "MCITYZ" cheat code at the main menu of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit will unlock Empire City.
- A unique element of the track is the view of a satellite in space that looks similar to the Death Star from Star Wars.
- In the PlayStation release, one of the tankers is entitled "Neptune II."
- In the PlayStation release, there are barriers blocking the road that would lead to the cut track TR02B.
|Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit - Courses|
|Beginner||Hometown · Redrock Ridge · Atlantica · Rocky Pass|
|Expert||Country Woods · Lost Canyons · Aquatica · Summit · Empire City (Bonus)|
|Hidden||AutoCross · Caverns · Scorpio-7 · Space Race · The Room · TR02B (Unreleased)|
|Need for Speed: High Stakes - Courses|
|Beginner||Celtic Ruins (Scotland) · Landstrasse (Germany) · Dolphin Cove (USA) · Hometown (USA) · Redrock Ridge (USA) · Atlantica (USA)|
|Advanced||Kindiak Park (Canada) · Route Adonf (France) · Rocky Pass (Canada) · Country Woods (USA) · Lost Canyons (USA)|
|Expert||Durham Road (England) · Snowy Ridge (USA) · Aquatica (USA) · Summit (Canada) · Empire City (USA)|
|Raceways||Raceway (Italy) · Raceway 2 (USA) · Raceway 3 (Spain)|