Need for Speed: Edge is an upcoming title currently in development under EA Spearhead, formerly EA Korea, that is set to be published by Nexon in South Korea, and by Tencent in China under the title Need for Speed: Online.
The game is being developed in Korea, and will use the Frostbite 3 engine, and was first teased through a press release published in Korean by Nexon on July 1, 2015.
Players are given a reward at the end of each event with a pack of four cards of which only one card can be selected, while another card (Blue) is always given.
- World Race - The player races against A.I. opponents with additional objectives offer bonus rewards.
- Free Drive - The player can practice their skills in a small open world area based on Redview County.
It features various multiplayer only routes that players compete against each other along to reach the finish line first. Players can also grab power-ups along the route to use against other players or improve their current car similar to Pursuit Tech featured in Need for Speed: Rivals and power-ups featured in Need for Speed: World.
Multiplayer events are initiated through a lobby system that allows players to see the current race route, the driver level of other players, and a list of cars they can select for the event.
- Speed - Players compete against each other in races and team races.
- Item - Players compete against each other in a race using power-ups.
- Drift - Players compete against each other to set the highest total drift score along a set route.
- Catch the Tail - Two players compete to pass the other in a set amount of laps
- Ranked Speed - Players compete against each other in races to earn a higher rank for a given season.
- Challenge Mode - Players compete in multiplayer races to earn points. Earning certain amounts of points gives prizes such as car boxes, part upgrade materials, and SP.
- Pursuit - 4 players try to reach a finish line without being busted by the police. Players can use Pursuit Tech to help with their escape.
- Time Trial - Players complete the tracks to obtain prizes (card packs, visual parts, or according to the season), and will earn a classification according to the time they set in the race.
Players can earn nitrous through performing driving maneuvers such as drifting, driving in the oncoming lane, and drafting opponents. Nitrous can be used periodically to give a boost to a vehicle's acceleration and top speed.
In Item-Mode events, players can acquire power-ups while racing along their event route. A wide variety of power-ups can be collected; spike strips, shields, turbo. A player can only have two items at the same time.
Players can upgrade their the performance rating of their cars by by installing parts. There are five types of parts; engine, transmission, nitrous, strength, and durability. Using parts upgrade materials, parts which are already installed to the car can be upgraded. Removing parts from the car requires a parts dismount card.
Players can visit a wrap shop to customise the appearance of their cars. They can change the body paint and rim colours, or apply a wrap to a car. There are two kinds of wraps; common wraps and exclusive wraps.
Licence plate are made up of two sets of numbers: individual numbers and distinct numbers. Individual numbers can be changed by using an individual number modifier, but Distinct numbers, however, cannot be changed freely and are randomly given numbers.
There are two types of licence plates;
- Normal - A blue coloured licence plate.
- Premium - An non-blue coloured licence plate.
If a player owns two or more of the same car, they can combine both to improve ta single car's strength rating, but this also requires spending currency and may fail, resulting in losing one of the two cars. The minimum is +1 and maximum level is +10.
Blueprints can be gathered up to a certain target to produce a car.
CarsOver 200 cars are targeted to be part of Need for Speed: Edge, with all of them split into various car classes ranging from highest (SS) to lowest (C). The car class rating system ranges from SS, S, A, B, and C.
As well as a class rating, each car is rated in five different performance factors that equate to an overall performance rating within a car class.
SoundtrackThe soundtrack features artists such as The Qemists, Fall Out Boy, The Dead Weather, and Major Lazer.
|Component||Minimum Specifications||Recommended Specifications|
|OS||Windows Vista (SP2) 32-bit||Windows 7 64-bit|
|CPU||AMD Athlon II X2 2.8Ghz|
Intel Core 2Duo 2.4Ghz
|AMD Phenom II X3|
Intel Core i5
|GPU||AMD Radeon 3870|
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
|AMD Radeon 7870|
NVIDIA GeForce GTX660
|DirectX||DirectX 10||DirectX 11|
The trailer closes highlighting the date November 12, 2015, the date when the registration for the closed beta test began.
Registration for a closed beta began on November 12, 2015 and is set to end in November 22, 2015, which will be followed the closed beta session from November 26, 2015 to November 29, 2015. The closed beta will be exclusive to South Korea.
Additional beta test sessions were announced on March 8, 2016 with the first taking place from March 8, 2016 to March 20, 2016, and the second from March 24, 2016 to March 27, 2016. The second round of test sessions highlighted the inclusion of Time Attack and Hot Pursuit events.
EA Quarterly Earnings Call
Electronics Arts' quarterly earnings call for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 was held on January 31, 2017. During the call, a rundown of Electronic Arts' previous quarter was discussed, and one of the games mentioned was Need for Speed: Edge.
|“||[It will] follow a similar path as that we've taken with FIFA Online.||”|
— Andrew Wilson - EA CEO
Need for Speed: Edge began official service on December 14, 2017.
- ↑ http://2p.com/34769876_1/EA-Is-Developing-Need-for-Speed-Edge-for-Korean-Market-by-Wei.htm Need for Speed: Edge Nexon Press Release
- ↑ http://gameabout.com/interview2/3765896 G-Star 2016 interview
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJoYnLtFdI Need for Speed: Edge - Teaser Trailer
- ↑ Article: Need for Speed Edge (2017) 12/14(목) 업데이트 노트 : 정식 서비스 전환 (Update 12/14 (Thu) Update Note: Full Service Transition). Available at: http://needforspeed-edge.nexon.com/news/gamenotice?n4pageno=6&n4articlesn=160
|Need for Speed Series|
|Games||The Need for Speed · II · III: Hot Pursuit · High Stakes · Porsche Unleashed · Motor City Online · Hot Pursuit 2 · Underground · Underground 2 · Most Wanted (2005) · Carbon · ProStreet · Undercover · Shift · Nitro · World · Hot Pursuit (2010) · Shift 2: Unleashed · The Run · Most Wanted (2012) · Rivals · Need for Speed (2015) · Edge · Payback|
|Handheld||Underground Rivals · Most Wanted 5-1-0 · Carbon: Own The City · Hot Pursuit (iOS) · No Limits|
|Compilations||The Need for Speed Collection · Collector's Series|
|Films||Need for Speed|