Need for Speed (2017) is an upcoming release currently in development at Ghost Games and is set for a 2017 release by publisher Electronic Arts. The title of the 2017 game hasn't been revealed nor any specifics towards the style of gameplay that will be employed.
The 2017 game was first revealed to be in development on May 10, 2016 with the release of Under The Hood #7: Taking Stock on the official Need for Speed website.
The special announcement highlighted the SpeedLists update would be the last free content update for Need for Speed (2015), and the community's feedback towards the 2015 game would be taken in towards the development of the 2017 game.
|“||We are now building upon the foundations that have been laid with Need for Speed and delivering our next game in 2017.|
That’s not to say that we’re going quiet between now and then... far from it. We'll be working with our community and there will be multiple opportunities to bring many of you into the studio in the coming months to get your feedback on where we're headed.
— Ghost Games
EA Play 2016
It was announced on January 27, 2016 that Electronic Art would not be attending E3 2016 in favour of hosting their own EA Play conference. On June 9, 2016, Electronic Arts' Global Content and Community Manager, Ben Walke, tweeted that no games in development at Ghost Games were set to be announced during the conference
A Narrative Writer position was listed on the jobs section of Ghost Games' website for their studio in Guildford, England. The position listed a role encompassing character development, writing scripts for performance sessions, and would be beneficial to have a knowledge of car culture.
Need for Speed: Arena Trademark
On November 7, 2016, a trademark for Need for Speed: Arena was published for ownership by Electronic Arts. The trademark application was filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) with a 9 and 14 Nice classification, covering the usage of the term for a computer game software and an online entertainment service respectively.
EA Quarterly Earnings Call
Electronics Arts' quarterly earnings call for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 was held on January 31, 2017. During the call, a rundown of Electronic Arts' previous quarter was discussed, and hinted at the 23rd Need for Speed game.
|“||We’re also excited to have a new Need for Speed title launching in FY18. We’ve given this game an extended development cycle to focus on innovation, and the Need for Speed team is pushing the boundaries of action driving with what we believe is the most exciting and best-looking Need for Speed game we’ve ever produced.||”|
— Andrew Wilson - EA ECO
The fiscal 2018 release target places the launch of Need for Speed (2017) between April 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018. Andrew Wilson also mentioned that, according to Polygon, the game will be ambitious with a competitive online focus.
- ↑ http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/under-the-hood-7 Ghost Games: Under The Hood #7: Taking Stock
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/27/10842598/electronic-arts-e3-2016-booth-press-conference-ea-play Polygon: Electronic Arts leaves E3 2016
- ↑ https://twitter.com/BenWalke/status/740846801754947586 Twitter: Ben Walke @BenWalke
- ↑ http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://ghostgames.com/jobs/writer/ Ghost Games: Narrative Writer position
- ↑ http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ea-registered-trademark-need-speed-arena/ Attack of the Fanboy: EA Has Registered A Trademark For “Need For Speed Arena”
- ↑ https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016009565 EUIPO: Need for Speed: Arena trademark
- ↑ http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/01/ea-confirms-new-need-for-speed-will-be-out-in-next-fiscal-year IGN: EA confirms new Need for Speed will be out in the next fiscal year
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14461472/new-need-for-speed-game Polygon: New Need for Speed game
|Need for Speed Series|
|Games||The Need for Speed • II • III: Hot Pursuit • High Stakes • Porsche Unleashed • Motor City Online • Hot Pursuit 2 • Underground • Underground 2 • Most Wanted (2005) • Carbon • ProStreet • Undercover • Shift • Nitro • World • Hot Pursuit (2010) • Shift 2: Unleashed • The Run • Most Wanted (2012) • Rivals • Need for Speed (2015) • Edge • Need for Speed (2017)|
|Handheld||Underground Rivals • Most Wanted 5-1-0 • Carbon: Own The City • Hot Pursuit (iOS) • No Limits|
|Compilations||The Need for Speed Collection • Collector's Series|
|Films||Need for Speed|