It will be made available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One as well as offering an improved visual experience on PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X.
The name of the 2017 game was revealed on June 2, 2017 with a trailer showcasing the location, high-concept of the plot, and multiple vehicles that will appear in the game. A Deluxe Edition was also announced at the end of the trailer.
Numerous teasers were released leading up to the game's reveal on June 2, 2017 such as an initial reveal of the game's setting with an Under the Hood article and multiple tweeted images leading up to June 2nd.
An in depth look at the game was shown at Electronic Arts' EA Play event in Hollywood, Los Angeles on June 10, 2017. A gameplay trailer of a mission, in which Tyler and Jess steal a Koenigsegg Regera from the back of a semi trailer, was shown with a small amount of customisation features were demonstrated at a later point in the show.
The single player campaign follows Tyler Morgan, a former street racer and exile looking for revenge. He's double crossed and must build a crew towards winning an impossible race whilst trying to bring down a cartel, The House, that has their presence across the city's casinos, criminals, and law enforcement.
Players take on the role of three characters across the single player campaign;
- Tyler Morgan - An aspiring street racer.
- Mac - An extremely style focused driver.
- Jess - The professional driver and wheelman for hire.
Each have their own quests towards bringing down The House.
Taking place in the fictional Fortune Valley, players can purchase new cars or rebuild abandoned shells, and can customise their vehicles with aftermarket parts they either win or buy. They can use those rides to participate in races, missions, activities, and SpeedLists.
Split into two modes; single player and multiplayer, players earn rewards for driving with style and excessive speed. Offering a risk and reward design, earning rep goes towards rewards with long strings of driving maneuvers offering multipliers called Heaters. Challenges also offer opportunities to earn bank, but also raise the stakes in races.
The event types available are offered to each of the three characters including different events and missions towards their quest line. Some missions will include all three characters.
- Race events with Tyler.
- Transporting VIPs and packages with Jess.
- Drifting and off-road events with Mac.
Police will intervene and pursue the player through a series of Heat Levels. Each Heat Level will introduce additional police presence, apprehension tactics, and equipment such as roadblocks, spikestrips, helicopters, and Rhinos units.
Derelicts are abandoned cars that can be restored to stock form, and them improved upon through customisation.
Vehicles are categorised into specific car classes that can be modified through customisation, known as Super Builds, that can specialise in specific mission types;
- Race - High speed racing.
- Off-road - Designed to go cross country.
- Drift - Sideways powersliding.
- Drag - A quarter-mile in under 10 seconds.
- Runner - Stealth, dodging cops, and threading through traffic.
Customisation allows for any owned cars to be altered and personalised to a player's taste. Various visual aftermarket components, performance parts, paint schemes, vinyls, and stance can be equipped or manipulated to craft a unique vehicle.
Paint & Wrap Library
Multiple visual components of a car can be replaced or adjusted with a selection of alternative trim, aftermarket, and fictional parts.
The Stance of a vehicle can be manipulated through various elements of a vehicle's suspension setup in the garage with a Tune Stance option.
Performance Parts can be equipped to improve the capabilities of a vehicle, and some can be chosen over others to push a vehicle towards a specific setup or set of driving requirements.
Performance Tuning can be accessed whilst in free roam and allows for fine-tuning of a vehicle's performance or driving characteristics.
Fortune Valley is a fictional region based on Las Vegas, Nevada. The area consists of the glamorous Silver Rock City, the arid Liberty Desert, the peaks of Mount Providence, and the deadly drops of Silver Canyon.
|The 2017 game was first revealed to be in development on May 10, 2016 with the release of Under The Hood #7: Taking Stock on the official Need for Speed website.
The special announcement highlighted the SpeedLists update would be the last free content update for Need for Speed (2015), and the community's feedback towards the 2015 game would be taken in towards the development of the 2017 game.
EA Play 2016
It was announced on January 27, 2016 that Electronic Arts would not be attending E3 2016 in favour of hosting their own EA Play conference. On June 9, 2016, Electronic Arts' Global Content and Community Manager, Ben Walke, tweeted that no games in development at Ghost Games were set to be announced during the conference
A Narrative Writer position was listed on the jobs section of Ghost Games' website for their studio in Guildford, England. The position listed a role encompassing character development, writing scripts for performance sessions, and would be beneficial to have a knowledge of car culture.
Need for Speed: Arena Trademark
|On November 7, 2016, a trademark for Need for Speed: Arena was published for ownership by Electronic Arts. The trademark application was filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) with a 9 and 14 Nice classification, covering the usage of the term for a computer game software and an online entertainment service respectively.|
EA Quarterly Earnings Call
|Electronics Arts' quarterly earnings call for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 was held on January 31, 2017. During the call, a rundown of Electronic Arts' previous quarter was discussed, and hinted at the 23rd Need for Speed game.
The fiscal 2018 release target places the launch of Need for Speed (2017) between April 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018. Andrew Wilson also mentioned that, according to Polygon, the game will be ambitious with a competitive online focus.
EA Play 2017
|On March 23, 2017, an official Electronic Arts blog post was published dating the availability of tickets for the show, and that Need for Speed will be playable for participants.
Under The Hood
|A tease for Need for Speed (2017) was shown in an Under the Hood segment published on the official Need for Speed website on May 9, 2017. It was titled "Need for Speed 2017: Paying It Back".
The post highlighted Ghost Games' continued passion for the Need for Speed series, and that they feel "honoured and privileged" to be developing the next game for the fans of the series, which will be released before the end of the 2017 calendar year.
In the opening section of the post, the article states that Ghost Games has been surprised by the amount of feedback received from the Need for Speed community following the release of Need for Speed (2015).
Customisation is described as having a strong role within the game and beyond its release. Police are also noted to be pursuing racers during street races and the presence of Rhino units.
The environment in which the game will take place is depicted with a teaser image that was part of the article. It shows a Motel sign flickering near a red rock cliff with a setting sun casting through a clouded sky, and a Nissan 350Z parked against a chain link fence adjacent to a field of tall grass.
Another sign below the flashing Motel sign has the date June 2nd written across it. June 2, 2017 is eight days ahead of Electronic Art's EA Play event in Los Angeles, which will feature Need for Speed (2017) playable on the show floor.
Its setting is characterised as a beautiful location that offers space for both tarmac and offroad gameplay, with the option to take customised cars to events along a canyon setting or take jumps to avoid police attention.
The article ends by stating that the game will feature a single player experience that can be played offline and can also be paused.
Adjusting the levels of the image reveals a few skyscrapers and a tower poking up from the base of the image. The buildings that appear in the image bear a resemblance to the Las Vegas skyline.
Adjusting the levels of the image reveals the same few skyscrapers and a tower from the image tweeted a day prior, but positions them as a background to a modified Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R34) performing a donut in the foreground.
The image highlighted the game's full reveal across multiple time zones at 06:00 in Los Angeles, USA; 14:00 in London, United Kingdom; and 23:00 in Sydney, Australia. It also included a link to the official Need for Speed Youtube channel.
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-xbox-one-xps4-pro-support-for-need-for-spe/1100-6450732/ Gamespot: Xbox One X/PS4 Pro Support For Need For Speed Payback Confirmed
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BVK73OjAvIr/ Instagram: @needforspeed - Aston Martin DB11
- ↑ File:NFSPB - PS4 Gameplay Demo Youtube: PlayStation Live E3 2017 | Day 2
- ↑ File:NFSPB - PS4 Gameplay Demo Youtube: PlayStation Live E3 2017 | Day 2
- ↑ http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/under-the-hood-7 Ghost Games: Under The Hood #7: Taking Stock
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/27/10842598/electronic-arts-e3-2016-booth-press-conference-ea-play Polygon: Electronic Arts leaves E3 2016
- ↑ https://twitter.com/BenWalke/status/740846801754947586 Twitter: Ben Walke @BenWalke
- ↑ http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://ghostgames.com/jobs/writer/ Ghost Games: Narrative Writer position
- ↑ http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ea-registered-trademark-need-speed-arena/ Attack of the Fanboy: EA Has Registered A Trademark For “Need For Speed Arena”
- ↑ https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016009565 EUIPO: Need for Speed: Arena trademark
- ↑ http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/01/ea-confirms-new-need-for-speed-will-be-out-in-next-fiscal-year IGN: EA confirms new Need for Speed will be out in the next fiscal year
- ↑ http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14461472/new-need-for-speed-game Polygon: New Need for Speed game
- ↑ https://www.ea.com/news/ea-play-tickets-coming-soon EA: EA Play Tickets Coming Soon
- ↑ https://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/nfs-2017-paying-it-back needforspeed.com: Need for Speed 2017: Paying It back
- ↑ https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/869561553074442242 @NeedforSpeed: Let's get this party started shall we?
- ↑ https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/869916397811400706 @NeedforSpeed: Excuse our smoke
- ↑ https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/870292141561585665 @NeedforSpeed: Be there, you don't want to miss it
|Need for Speed Series|
|Games||The Need for Speed • II • III: Hot Pursuit • High Stakes • Porsche Unleashed • Motor City Online • Hot Pursuit 2 • Underground • Underground 2 • Most Wanted (2005) • Carbon • ProStreet • Undercover • Shift • Nitro • World • Hot Pursuit (2010) • Shift 2: Unleashed • The Run • Most Wanted (2012) • Rivals • Need for Speed (2015) • Edge • Need for Speed (2017)|
|Handheld||Underground Rivals • Most Wanted 5-1-0 • Carbon: Own The City • Hot Pursuit (iOS) • No Limits|
|Compilations||The Need for Speed Collection • Collector's Series|
|Films||Need for Speed|