Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Unlike The Need for Speed, the game features simpler driving physics, and utilises race tracks with an exotic setting as well as high jumps. The car selection includes sports cars and concept cars.
Need for Speed II is playable in Singleplayer and Multiplayer, which can be played via a modem, network serial link, and split screen.
- Knockout - Knockouts are available once the player has completed a tournament. In this mode, the player that finishes a race in last position will be eliminated. This is repeated until one is left.
- Single Race - Standard circuit races with a specific number of laps.
- Tournament - A series of races that involves every track of the game, in which players with the highest numbers of points win the whole tournament. The better the finished position, the more points one will gain.
Each of these race types can be customised. This includes physics (Arcade, Simulation), catch-up mode, driving direction, opponents (Class, skill level, number (up to seven)) and a mirrored option of the selected track. In each race track, an interactive soundtrack will be played, which is directly adapted to the gaming situation.
The car list mainly consists of European sports cars and concept cars from the 1990's. Every car's brake bias, downforce and gear ratios may be fine-tuned. Players can also watch a short video presentation of each car in the game and check real-life performance stats, history and a slide show. This option is known as Showcase.
- Ferrari F50
- Ford GT90
- Lotus Elise GT1
- McLaren F1
- Bomber BFS (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
- FZR 2000 (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
- Tombstone (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
- Isdera Commendatore 112i
- Jaguar XJ220
- Ford Indigo (Bonus Vehicle)
- Italdesign Nazca C2 (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
- Italdesign Cala
- Lotus Esprit V8
- Ferrari 355 F1 (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
- Ford Mustang Mach III (Special Edition Bonus Vehicle)
All race tracks are closed circuits set in various different environments around the world.
- Proving Grounds - An oval test track based in Norway.
- Outback - Australian inspired route featuring landmarks based in Sydney such as the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.
- North Country - Western Europe based on Germany and the Netherlands.
- Pacific Spirit - Running across a city, a national park, the Lions' Gate Bridge, the SkyTrain and BC Place from Vancouver
- Mediterraneo - Coastal and cliff-side track suggestively located beside the Mediterranean resembling Greece.
- Mystic Peaks - A highland track covered in snow set in Nepal that passes through high mountains and tunnels.
- Monolithic Studios - Hollywood film studios (Bonus Course unlocked by beating both the Knockout and Tournament modes)
Special Edition CoursesEdit
- Last Resort - Based on Central and South American themes including a coast, a rainforest, a volcano and step pyramids.
The Special Edition release of Need for Speed II added seven new cars, one new track, 3dfx Glide support and a new driving style (Wild). It was released on November 6, 1997 in North America with a later release of February 2, 1998 in Japan and Europe.
- The game was originally intended to feature police, but a cop mode was cut due to a short development schedule.
|Need for Speed Series|
|Games||The Need for Speed • II • III: Hot Pursuit • High Stakes • Porsche Unleashed • Motor City Online • Hot Pursuit 2 • Underground • Underground 2 • Most Wanted (2005) • Carbon • ProStreet • Undercover • Shift • Nitro • World • Hot Pursuit (2010) • Shift 2: Unleashed • The Run • Most Wanted (2012) • Rivals • Need for Speed (2015) • Edge • Need for Speed (2017)|
|Handheld||Underground Rivals • Most Wanted 5-1-0 • Carbon: Own The City • Hot Pursuit (iOS) • No Limits|
|Compilations||The Need for Speed Collection • Collector's Series|
|Films||Need for Speed|