The Police Scanner is a scanning device utilised to identify police units within the situated environment of the player.
The device will beep faster as a police unit approaches the player's vehicle. Need for Speed: Most Wanted displays a small arrow to display the direction in which the police vehicle is approaching. Need for Speed: Carbon and Need for Speed: Undercover display a red arrow on the minimap to show any nearby police units.
- The Need for Speed
- Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
- Need for Speed: High Stakes
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Need for Speed: Carbon
- Need for Speed: Undercover
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
- The Police Scanner in Need for Speed: Most Wanted works the same way as in older instalments except that it turns green if police units are on the same road. It will turn orange when approaching a speed camera. The police scanner is inactive during police pursuits but will reactivate when the player enters cooldown mode.
- Need for Speed Carbon and Need for Speed: Undercover feature a pulse radar which blinks faster as police vehicles near the player. Police units are also displayed as red triangles on the mini-map.
- In Hot Pursuit (2010) the police scanner only blinks upon the player approaching a police interceptor unit.